September 9-10 , 2023Continue reading
August 19-20 , 2023Continue reading
The 2023 Annual Conference and AGM conference will be held in Vernon BC from June 9-11.Continue reading
After two years of Covid delays we are delighted to confirm that Smithers will be the destination for our Annual Conference and AGM. Mark your calendars for 24 – 26 June 2022.
Detailed information on the conference, including field trip descriptions and special conference hotel rate, can be found here. or under the Events drop-down tab above. Registration opens early March. Further information on registration and payments will be posted when available. Additional field trips will also be added.
The updated COSEWIC Status Report being prepared by Birds Canada requires current, province-wide population information for Long-billed Curlew.
BCFO members are invited to participate in this important, volunteer, roadside survey this spring.
- Why: We need to know how these listed birds are doing to determine and update their conservation status. A province-wide population estimate hasn’t been made since 2005!
- How: Single-day roadside surveys conducted along ca. 30-km transects within known grassland and croplands.
- When: Between April 23-May 8, with dates progressing from south to north.
- Where: Okanagan-Similkameen, Thompson-Nicola, Cariboo-Chilcotin, Prince George-Nechako, and East Kootenay regions.
- Who: Teams of 2-3 people who can identify curlews by sound and sight. Training will be provided virtually in March for all participants.